Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Lessons I wish I knew early in life

I'm approaching a birthday. Ugghhh in three months I'll be 33 years old. This may not seem that old to some but according to the Beloit College Mindset list i'm freaking ancient! I can attribute these feelings of out datedness to technology which is both the jewel and the bane of my existence. If you want to read up on the mindset of this years crop of incoming freshman and join me in my lamenting woes you can do so by clicking on this: http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2014/

As this birthday looms larger than life for me this year with my oldest biological son entering Kindergarten and my bonus daughter beginning her freshman year of high school I'm looking back at my younger, thinner, more stupid self and wishing I could give her some advice. Some things I'd like to go back and tell her, but knowing myself as well as I do, she wouldn't listen to me anyway are listed below.

1) It's ok to fail. The world will not end if you screw up pursuing your dream as a writer and your family will not think less of you for doing so.

2)NO ONE looks good in Spandex, flourescent lighting, or too small clothes

3) Keep your wardrobe you'll be shocked at how quickly that fashion comes back around in your lifetime.

4) Just because you can get away with it doesn't mean you should.

5) 1 out of ever 3 people will not like you and that's OK

6) You are not a weirdo, creepy, loser for keeping a journal but make sure you keep a lock on that thing!!

7) Save your money (conversly stay away from credit cards).

8)Go to counseling BEFORE you decide to get married

9) Move somewhere and learn to live alone, learn to enjoy living alone

10) Life isn't fair, it's usually not fair in your favor so quite whining about it.

11) When someone says "it could be worse" believe them.

12) Perfectionism will kill you.

13) Life is not a race and there is no "timeline" for getting to certain milestones. It's not important that you reach them at such and such a time only that you reach them.

14) When someone shows you who they are believe them, People are consistent.

15) You can not "fix" people nor should you try.

16) Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has them, not everyone wants to get a whiff of yours so keep it to yourself unless asked. If asked temper it with tolerance and understanding.

17) NO is just as powerful as Yes. Learn to use them appropriatly.

18) Stay away from JOHNATHAN TALL!!! he will ruin your life both spiritually and emotionally.

19) It's ok to like video games, comic books, dressing up in costumes, playing pretend, reading, and being an all around geek. It does not make you better or worse than anyone else.

20) Don't be so quick to cut people out of your life.

21) Letting go of control is liberating. Try it!!!


3 comments:

  1. The butthole one had me cracking up! Is that yours or did you steal it, funny stuff.
    Likewise 1 and 13 are really something too.
    Yay for you taking a moment to think out loud here. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the butthole one is mine LOL. I'm glad you thought it was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen some of those on a stumble site! lolol but great advice, too bad it is wasted on youth! =) I am already 33 but thanks for making me think I might be old!

    ReplyDelete